- GG is an acronym that means “good game,” and is usually said at the end of online multiplayer games.
- Saying GG at the end of games is considered good sportsmanship, and in some games, can even earn you rewards.
- However, GG can also be said sarcastically — using GG mockingly after someone makes an error is considered unsportsmanlike.
As internet acronyms go, “GG” is among the most popular. It’s also among the most polarizing, because depending on when and how it’s typed, it can be very polite or incredibly rude.
What does GG mean?
GG stands for “good game,” and is meant to be a sign of good sportsmanship in online games. By saying “GG” at the end of a match, you’re signaling both that you enjoyed the game and that your opponent put up a good fight.
Consider it the online equivalent of shaking your opponent’s hand after a real-life game. It’s a show of respect.
There’s no documented case of the first time GG was used, but there’s little doubt that the acronym started among gamers in the late 1990s, when online multiplayer games first began to gain popularity. It didn’t take long for the phrase to become customary among polite players at the end of a match.
These days, it’s used in nearly every online game that has text or voice chat. Games like “Rocket League” even have it as a Quick Chat option, meaning that you can just press a button to have the game type and send “GG” for you.
In “League of Legends,” saying GG after your matches can earn you “Honors.” These Honors, given to players that others love to play with, can earn you special or exclusive rewards.
How to use GG online and in real life
The easiest and simplest way to use GG is to simply say it at the end of a game, whether you’ve won or lost. Very few people will ever be upset at you for saying you enjoyed playing with them.
But while this is GG’s most common use, gamers have found other ways to use the acronym, often turning its meaning on its head. For example, using “GG” at the start of a game is generally seen as bad sportsmanship – the player is goading the opponent, implying that the game will be so easy that it’s basically over before it begins.
Similarly, GG can be used after a particularly bad moment in a game. If your opponent misplays or messes up, making it easier for you to win, saying “GG” can be seen as sarcastic and rude.
In recent years, “GG” has moved beyond gaming and is now used in real life as well. That means there’s all sorts of situations in which you’ll hear someone use the phrase, or you’ll have the chance to use it yourself.
- GG is usually said at the end of a multiplayer game. Both the winner and loser can write or say “GG,” which can be followed up with a compliment or observation. For example, “GG, you almost had me near the end,” or “GG, I never saw you coming.”
- You can use “GG” at the end of real life games like golf, tennis, or poker. Just be aware that if you’re talking with people who don’t play video games, they might not know what you’re talking about.